Donate? Yep, donate! Are you one of the 50 million Americans who are members of a gym? More importantly are you part of the 75% who fail to use that membership? If you answered yes to both questions then you are in fact donating your money. Wouldn't it be great if possessing a little key card was all you needed to get in shape? Unfortunately, it's not! You have to make an effort to get into your car, drive to the gym, walk through the doors, grab your towel, and here it comes - sweat!
I see it all too often: You join a gym with all the good intentions in the world, but something comes up and you don't go to the gym for a few days. A few days turns into a week. A week turns into a month and, before you know it, a year has gone by and you can count on two hands the number of times you went to the gym this year. STOP WASTING YOUR MONEY! I realize that the words on this page will only go so far to motivate you to go to the gym, so instead I offer some useful strategies to keep you on track and save some dinero.
Here they are in no particular order:
- Join a gym that offers a month to month payment plan.
- If possible do not sign up for "auto-pay". If you physically write a check once a month, you will be more inclined to go.
- Find a gym that offers a "pay per class" type of membership. That way you only pay when you go.
- If gyms are not your thing, find a Personal Trainer who will train you at home or at a nearby park.
- There are also plenty of private gyms that your Personal Trainer can take you that are quiet and less crowded.
- Google! There are plenty of gym-like alternatives in your neighborhood. I.E. Rock climbing, krav maga, boxing classes, etc.
- Workout with a buddy. *Just be sure to hold each other accountable. Otherwise you and your buddy are simply taking a ride on the same sinking ship.
Trust me, I know how difficult life can be and how things like work, relationships, family, and your favorite TV shows can get in the way of your health, but remember the motivating force that drove you to join your gym in the first place. Stop letting your hard earned money go to some corporation that couldn't care less if you are healthy or not. Start putting yourself first!
Yours in fitness,