Since I was a young lad, I have seen commercials offering rapid solutions to your weight loss woes. Slim fast, Richard Simmons, Atkins, NutriSystem, The Cabbage diet, and Ephedra! They all promised the same thing - Weight loss faster than Captain Kirk could say "warp speed ahead" (Yes, that was a StarTrek reference) and looks that would have your neighbor's husband or wife at your doorstep asking for some sugar!
Doesn't matter who you are, we all have a similar goal - Look good in those jeans!
The problem? Here's a short list
- Not eating breakfast.
- Eating too much at dinner.
- Not drinking enough water.
- Snacking too much throughout the day.
- Heavy on the starches - Rice, pasta, and breads.
- Lite on the good stuff - Veggies, fish, and lean meats
- Forgot to take your vitamins this morning?
What is balance? In short, it is a state of equilibrium. A state where there are no extremes and where all things are in harmony. It is my opinion that this is the real key to success when dealing with your weight. I have seen my clients try diet after diet and fad after fad in order to lose weight. Ultimately, what ends up happening?
- Your "diet" restricts you so much that binge on the weekends.
- Eventually you come off the diet and you mysteriously put the weight back on.
- You lose 10lbs at first but can't seem to lose any more.
- You find yourself saying, "Oh my God, this diet sucks!", way too much.
Here are some tips that I utilize for myself and for my clients that may help you find balance. Final bullet list, I promise.
- Don't 180 your diet. Instead of changing everything all at once, try stages and steps.
- Cheat meals instead of cheat days.
- Keep a log! I can't tell you how much this helps.
- Be realistic. Don't aim to workout 9 days a week if you can only make it 2 times a week.
- Don't restrict yourself to the point that you feel like a prisoner on death row.
- Every time you want to cheat or over indulge, remind yourself of what your goal is.
- Day by day. Step by step. Don't overwhelm yourself with wanting instant results.
So instead of buying into the next infomercial or going to the health store to pick up the latest fat loss pills, do something for yourself. Go for a run in the morning. Eat a healthy breakfast. Have some almonds as a snack. Salad for lunch. Apple. Sensible and light dinner. Get 8hrs of sleep. Wake up and take it one step at a time. I promise that if you practice moderation and balance...you will go much farther than ever before.